Young ladies from 30 states were headed to Hoopeston Wednesday (August 28th, 2019) to participate in this weekend’s Miss National Sweetheart Pageant. The Pageant is just part of the 76th National Sweet Corn Festival taking place at Hoopeston’s McFerren Park. The Festival begins today (Thursday) and is hosted by the Hoopeston Jaycees but the entire community gets involved to make sure it continues to be a mainstay of the Labor Day weekend.
Besides the National Sweetheart competition, some other events during the Festival include:
- Hoopeston’s Grand Parade starting at 10:30 Saturday morning (August 31, 2019);
- A concert featuring Joe Diffie at 7:30 p.m. Friday;
- A car show on Saturday;
- A children’s fishing derby Sunday at 11:00 a.m.;
- A demolition derby Sunday night;
- Carnival rides at Hoopeston’s McFerren Park through Monday.
Contestants in the Miss National Sweetheart Pageant participate in swim suit, evening gown, and talent competitions. Nine of the past participants in the Pageant have gone on to win the title of Miss America.